Glass Walled Pools
A glass walled pool is an exciting feature that sets a property apart from others.
The technical term for pool glass walls is open top windows. They retain the water in the pool while there seems to be no wall. Open top windows allow for spectators to watch the underwater scenery, while remaining dry.
- Open top windows are supported on three sides only. The top of the window is exposed.
- Open top windows have a polished and rounded top edge. You can look into the window block from the top the same way you do when looking from the side.
- Acrylic sidewalls can be combined with infinity edge pools, where the water overflows a transparent pool wall. Such a glass for infinity pools gives the impression of a vertically cut of body of water. Looking at such a window feels like an optical illusion!
- Wide panels of 6m and more can be archieved in various ways. The glazing can consist of a contious panel, chemically bonded panel, panels with sealant joints inbetween or panels with mullions. The Hydrosight engineering team will carefully evaluate the customers requirements and budget, but also temperature variations on site and panel deflection criteria.
To make an outstanding feature like a pool glass has always been a special challenge for Hydrosight. With more than 15 years of experience and hundreds of installations we have found the best solutions for almost any kind of situation. One of the most important aspects of our glass walls are the stainless steel frames. Without these frames it would be impossible for an untrained pool builder to install a glass wall. The installation time is shorter - a fact that should be taken into account when calculating the total cost of building. The frame itself is invisible to the client, once the pool is ready. The mounting of the glass is much more discrete than otherwise possible. Most importantly the Hydrosight system is more safe and longer lasting than any competitors solution.
How to Install?
As an architect or builder you might be planning to use underwater windows for your project. Hydrosight can help you just with that.
Please take the time to look at our options to define precisely what you need. For example, what shape of underwater window are you looking for? Size? Location?
Planing and Preparation
For each of your window requests, Hydrosight will provide the technical drawings needed for the concrete work of the pool, i.e. the opening for the window. This allows you to plan accordingly on the installation and/or construction procedure.
In the meantime, the windows will be produced. They shall be ready for shipment just when you need them on the site.
Installing your First Underwater Window
You are a pool builder wishing to install a Hydrosight product. As the water body contractor in charge, you are new to installing underwater windows. Hydrosight makes this an exciting experience for their customers by providing a full service support. Beginning with unpacking the Hydroview installation kit, you will notice that all steps of installation have been prepared for you.
The Hydroview installation kit includes:
- The underwater window(s)
- All installation material needed
- Work drawings providing installation dimensions (available in advance as PDF)
- Installation manual in English (available in advance as PDF)
This makes it easy and secure to fit our windows, without the need of special skills, or silicone sealing.
Hydrosight On-Site Installation Service
Looking for full service, ease of mind and value for price? Hydrosight is the right place.
If you feel uncomfortable with installing the underwater windows yourself, or if you lack of the appropriate fitters, you can ask for installation services by Hydrosight. You might choose Hydrosight for in-house installation services and rely on our experienced team of fitter, available on demand on (almost) any location in the world.
Price, Shipping + Delivery
- Hydrosight manufacturing enables you to choose exactly the size needed.
- The sizes in the list are just examples.
- The depth ratings in the list are just examples
- Our window delivery includes the necessary installation material.
- Shipping world wide or for collection in Emmerich, Germany. Excluding packaging and delivery
- Lead time approx. 8-12 weeks. Please inquire for details with your order.
- Payment is by bank transfer only.
- Usual payment conditions are 100% with order
- For good client we accept 50% with order and 50% prior shipping.
Options and Types
Joining Windows and Waterproof Layer
There are many ways of waterproofing a containment. Each containment has at least one layer, that makes it waterproof. The underwater window is chosen according to the type of waterproofing. Here is a list of types.
Tiled pool windows are installed after the concrete wall is already casted. A rebate is made on the water side of the wall, so the tiled pool window can sit flush with the wall.
The window is then moved into the rebate and adjusted. It is fixed onto the concrete by wall anchors. The waterproofing, that is used for this type of pool, is usually some kind of slurry or other spreadable substance. The waterproofing is evenly applied to the entire pool surface. Corners and edges are reinforced by seam tapes. Then the waterproofing will be applied to the steel frame of the window, thus embedding the window into the waterproofing layer. Tiles or stones or other pool finishes will be applied on top of the waterproofing.
Tiled pool windows are popular - if unsure choose for this option or request more details.
Pools with Liner
A liner pool is built by excavating a hole, fitting a frame or shell, and finishing with a flexible PVC membrane – the liner. The liner will be wedged between flange and window, then screws shall be tightened. We call this type a vinyl linered window.
The PVC, or vinyl liner, used is similar to liners used for ponts. Underwater windows for liner pools were previously called "pressure flanges".
Exposed Concrete Pools
Many pools are made primarily from concrete. This can be either sprayed ("Gunite") or poured. Most pools have some sort of finishing layer, such as tiles. However, some pools are concrete only. We classify these as "exposed concrete". Exposed concrete tanks are relatively frequent in many industrial water tanks. Recently, exposed concrete pools for private leisure swimming have become popular in places like Switzerland.
The adequate window requires your concrete tank to be made from impermeable concrete and according to the building requirements of impermeable concrete. Exposed concrete windows are not suitable for unskilled installers.
As the concrete is casted and dried, and the shutter work removed, the window is already at its place, ready and waterproof. Our seam sheets and self-expanding seals stop the water from running from the wet to the dry side of the window.
Stainless Steel Pools
Stainless steel pools are very robust. These pools are long-lasting, durable, and low on maintenance. Stainless steel pool windows are a natural environment for Hydrosight's underwater windows. That is because Hydrosight's windows have an INOX frame. The windows for stainless steel pools are seal welded into the prepared opening.
Custom Types of Waterproofing
Other types of less common pools types:
- Fibreglass pools: Glass-Reinforced Plastic (GRP)
- PVC pools: Pools that are made from hard PVC, like the pools made from KWS. Hard PVC pools are not to be confused with soft PVC liner pools.
Orientation of the Window
A default feature. Is the window situated in, or functioning as one of the pool walls?
Is the window situated in the bottom of the pool? If so, please indicate, since this is a special feature. Commonly those windows are refered to as pool skylights.